Keep Your Feet Fit for Life Checklist
Did you know that the feet often provide the first sign of more serious health issues, such as diabetes? That's why it's important to have your primary care physician or family doctor "knock your socks off" and check your feet every time you go in for a checkup. After all, foot and ankle health is important to your overall well-being, mobility, and pursuit of fitness.
People with diabetes need to pay special attention to their feet and watch carefully for any signs of complications. Here's a checklist of Do's and Don'ts for you or your family members who have diabetes:
- Inspect feet daily for cuts, blisters, scratches, redness and swelling.
- Remember to inform every doctor you visit that you have diabetes.
- Wash feet daily; always dry carefully between the toes.
- Powder feet, lightly after bathing.
- Cut toenails straight across.
- Keep feet warm and dry.
- Use a good skin lotion to protect your feet from cracking and drying, but not between toes.
- Wear loose-fitting socks to bed if feet are cold; never use heating pads or hot water bottles.
- Wear comfortable, well-fitting shoes.
- Inspect the inside of shoes for foreign objects and torn lining each time you put them on.
- Don’t walk barefoot, even indoors!
- Don’t smoke. Smoking reduces blood circulation; this can lead to the loss of a leg.
- Don’t cut corns or calluses yourself.
- Don’t use caustic chemical agents or any other irritants for the removal of corns and calluses.
- Don’t wear open-toed shoes, particularly sandals with thongs between toes.
Family members can play an important role in ensuring that their loved ones keep their feet fit for life. If someone in your family has diabetes, share this checklist with them and remind them to visit their podiatrist. Education and awareness are helpful allies in the prevention of diabetes and its complications.
To help you keep your feet in "tip-toe" shape, our Foot Care department provides you with a wide variety of daily living aids to keep your feet healthy.
The Flexing Footrest provides soothing comfort for your feet and legs during flights or sitting for extended periods of time. The motion of the Flexing Footrest stimulates your feet and legs relaxing your muscles and helps maintain good blood circulation, can help reduce stiff joints and back pain, enabling your body to rest and relax during long periods of sitting. This amazing and compact device is an excellent defense against deep-vein thrombosis (DVT). When sitting for long periods of time at a desk or on a long flight this tiny foot exerciser helps stimulate your leg muscles and improve blood circulation. The Flexing Footrest is small enough to fit under your desk.
Get one now!
The Soapy Soles Foot Washer is a spa-worthy foot treatment for people with arthritis, diabetes or other conditions. It requires no bending or stretching. The pad gently massages and cleans your feet with 1500 little "fingers". The cobalt blue foot pad attaches to tub or shower floor with 31 powerful suction cups. Simply wet it, apply a dab of liquid soap, and rub your foot back and forth for a thorough, soothing foot wash. Treat your feet with the tender loving care they deserve with the Soapy Soles Foot Washer. Get one now!
This article was supplied by the American Podiatric Medical Association.